Skip to main content

The Quintessential Summer Condiment: Watermelon Pico de Gallo #FoodNFlix


So, he did not turn around and ask me to dance, but there was something about this image that reminded me of Dirty Dancing when Patrick Swayze gets Jennifer Grey to dance on a log! But I'm getting ahead of myself...

This month's Food'N'Flix event was hosted by Chef Sarah Elizabeth and her blog of the same name.You can read her invitation: here. She asked us to watch - or rewatch as is probably the case with everyone! - Dirty Dancing.*

On the Screen
Let me say that it disturbs me to no end that I now have to clarify: Dirty Dancing, the original one. Why is there a need to remake such a classic movie?!? Okay, it's not a classic in same sense of the Casablanca era of films, but it is a classic for anyone who was a teen in the 80s. Why ruin a classic? Back to the point with a brief summary...

The Housemans are vacationing in the Catskills. It's 1963. 'Baby', whose real name is Frances, wants to change the world, while her sister "just wants to decorate it." Baby is attracted by some music in the staff area and encounters charismatic dance instructor Johnny Castle. The staff camp world is raunchy, raucous, and a whole lot more fun than her moneyed society.

But it's more than a film about sex, class disparities, and first love affairs. It's about the liberating power of dance.

If you haven't seen it - the original, I mean - do! Actually, I can't say anything about the remake released twenty years after the original as I haven't seen it. I just object on principle.

Next month, Courtney at Fictional Fare is hosting us as we watch Second Hand Lions. I've never seen that. Have you? Back to this month's selection...


On the Plate
Surprisingly, there are many food references in this movie...

“Just put your pickle on everybody’s plate, college boy, and leave the hard stuff to me," spat Johnny to Robbie.

“Robbie, Baby wants to send our leftover pot roast to Southeast Asia, so anything you don’t finish, wrap up.”

“I didn’t blow a summer hauling toasted bagels just to bail out some little chick who probably balled every guy in the place.”

“Last month, I’m eating Jujubes to keep alive, this month women are stuffing diamonds in my pockets.” I actually did try to find these candies. Just because.

And, lastly, spaghetti arms...you can't dance with them.

I don't know why the scene of Baby and Johnny practicing on a log appeals to me so much. Perhaps it's sheer awe. It's difficult enough to walk across some logs, much less dance on them gracefully.


We do plenty of hiking across logs, as natural bridges, during our forays into nature. So, I considered some version of Ants on a Log, such as these!

But, instead, I wanted to make something with watermelon after Baby's awkward attempt to explain why she's in the no-guests-allowed area: "I carried a watermelon." When I was pregnant with R, we joked that I was carrying a watermelon.


I suspect we'll likely see lots of watermelon creations this month - it's a memorable quote and it is watermelon season, after all. While I considered, all sorts of sweet watermelon creations, including watermelon sorbet, I ultimately went for a savory. I've decided that watermelon pico de gallo is the quintessential summer condiment. It's so versatile, I've made at least four batches this month alone.

We used this salsa on...

Grilled Beef and Fresh Slaw Bowls

Lettuce Wraps with Black Beans and Beef

Grilled Chicken Soft Tacos

I even ate it straight from the bowl with a spoon. Shhhh...don't tell!


This is also an incredibly flexible recipe. I might try adding diced jicama for added texture or even fresh radishes for a piquant bite.

Ingredients

  • 3 C seedless watermelon, diced
  • 1/2 C onion, diced 
  • 1 t jalapeno, diced - feel free to use more if you like it spicy
  • 3/4 C fresh cilantro, chopped
  • 1 organic lime, juiced
  • salt, to taste


Procedure
Mix all of the ingredients together in a bowl. Let stand for at least 30 minutes before serving. That's it.

Use this wherever you would normally use salsa! Leftovers will keep in the refrigerator for two or three days. But each batch won't last that long. I promise.

*This blog currently has a partnership with Amazon.com in their affiliate program, which gives me a small percentage of sales if you buy a product through a link on my blog. It doesn't cost you anything more. If you are uncomfortable with this, feel free to go directly to Amazon.com and search for the item of your choice.


   

Comments

  1. Love this watermelon salsa. Cam...you are going to love, love, love Second Hand Lions and I know your boys will too. We must watch this 2 or 3 times every year. It is a great movie!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Watermelon salsa sounds like such a great mixture of flavors! Love how versatile it is, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I keep seeing people comment about the remake....I had no idea. Guess I missed it and I guess it was a good thing. Your salsa is definitely a good thing, Camilla!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this! I bet the watermelon is such a refreshing addition to pico!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Meyer Lemon Custard-Filled Matcha Turtles #BreadBakers

#BreadBakers is a group of bread loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bread with a common ingredient or theme. You can see all our of lovely bread by following our  Pinterest board  right here. Links are also updated after each event on the  Bread Bakers home page .  We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient. This month Stacy of Food Lust People Love  is hosting and she wrote: "Your bread can be large, as in one big animal, or small - animal-shaped rolls. Use your imagination! Points for flavor and shape!" If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send an email with your blog URL to Stacy at foodlustpeoplelove@gmail.com. Here's the animal-shaped bread basket from the #BreadBakers... Beef and Sweet Onion Dim Sum Pandas from Karen's Kitchen Stories Bird Bread Rolls from Ambrosia Easter Bunny Buns from Cook with Renu Ham and Cheese Elephant Rolls from Food Lust People Love Hedgehog Bread from Making Mir

Connecticut Lobster Rolls, Canned Lobster Bisque, and a 2019 Henry Fessy 'Maître Bonhome' Viré-Clessé #Winophiles

This month the French Winophiles group is looking at affordable wines from Burgundy.  Host Cindy of Grape Experiences wrote: "Burgundy, or Bourgogne, is known for its wines of Chardonnay and Pinot Noir... as well as Aligote, Gamay, Sauvignon, César, Pinot Beurot, Sacy, Melon in lesser quantities. Many of the well-known wines are quite expensive, but there are plenty of values to be found." Read her invitation here. And there won't be a Twitter chat for this event, so you will have to dive into the articles themselves to read about our pairings and findings. Here's the line-up... Wendy Klik from A Day in the Life on the Farm enjoys Domaine Chevillon Chezeaux Bourgogne Hautes Cotes de Nuits, 2018 Paired with a Maple Pecan Chicken . Camilla Mann from Culinary Adventures with Camilla shares her love of Connecticut Lobster Rolls, Canned Lobster Bisque, and a 2019 Henry Fessy 'Maître Bonhome' Viré-Clessé. Jeff Burrows of FoodWineClick! explains why we should Look t

Quick Pickled Red Onions and Radishes

If you've been reading my blog for even a short amount of time, you probably know how much I love to pickle things. I was just telling a friend you can pickle - with vinegar - or you can ferment - with salt - for similar delicious effect. The latter has digestive benefits and I love to do that, but when I need that pop of sour flavor quickly, I whip up quick pickles that are ready in as little as a day or two. I've Pickled Blueberries , Pickled Asparagus , Pickled Cranberries , Pickled Pumpkin , and even Pickled Chard Stems ! This I did last night for an upcoming recipe challenge that requires I include radishes. Ummmm...of course I'm pickling them! Ingredients  makes 1 quart jar radishes, trimmed and sliced organic red onions, peeled and thinly sliced (I used a mandolin slicer) 3/4 C vinegar (I used white distilled vinegar) 3/4 C water 3 T organic granulated sugar 1 T salt (I used some grey sea salt) 6 to 8 grinds of black pepper Proce