Skip to main content

Tasting Notes: Celebrating Teendom at Coqueta


Ever since we watched Hundred Foot Journey, the Enthusiastic Kitchen Elf has been asking to eat at a Michelin-starred restaurant. So, for his thirteenth birthday, I found one that was within walking distance of our hotel in San Francisco and had a menu that within my budget: Chef Michael Chiarello's Spanish enterprise, Coqueta.

Yes, thirteen. I can't believe these boys are both teens - thirteen and fourteen. How did that happen?!?


So, you enter the restaurant through the bar which was wall-to-wall people. Jake looked at me and asked, "You picked this place?" All four of us gravitate towards quieter, less populated places. But once the hostess took my name, located our reservation, and motioned for us to follow, we stepped into a room with a completely different feel.

Ridiculously high ceilings are matched by the raised tabletops and benches that line the perimeter of the room. Leather bar stools provide seating on the opposite side of the tables. There were some elegant wreaths that were a nod to the season, but I was drawn to the cow hides hung like tapestries on the walls.

Coqueta means 'flirt' in Spanish and a playfulness in the ambiance and menu are evident. We had so much fun!

Let's start with the drinks, because that's what we ordered first. The boys had the Limonada which were tall glasses of sparkling lemonade garnished with a sprig of fresh rosemary and some blueberries. Jake went for the Mojito which was made with Arehucas Rum and topped with a lime "air." 


I ordered their Red Sangria but found it was a little too sweet for me, so I swapped: my Sangria for Jake's second cocktail, the Crimson & Fog. Crafted with Rittenhouse Rye, Campari, Punt e Mes, Star Anise, and NOLA Coffee Liqueur, it was too bitter for him and it was just my style! Salud


Most of the dishes on the menu are meant to be shared so we all selected different things we wanted to try. D insisted, "I just want the paella. You can all order whatever else you want, but we are getting paella!" 

From the Tapas Calientes menu, R ordered the Pulpo a la Parilla, wood-grilled octopus with freshly-dug fingerling potatoes and pimenton olive oil. As you can see, we had battling forks flying all over that plate. They all loved it, I actually thought the char was a little overpowering. 


Our server suggested we order the Patatas Bravas because we were pretty protein-heavy. I'm glad we did. The potatoes were tender in the center, crispy on the outside, and the two dipping sauces were fantastic.

Since D loves sea urchin, we picked the Mar y Montaña from the Montaditos (Open Face Sandwiches) menu. I would say that Mar y Montaña was my favorite selection of the night and I plan to replicate it as soon as I can find some fresh urchin! Just read these ingredients: sea urchin on small toasts drizzled with melted Ibérico lardo and topped with lomo Ibérico and fresh rosemary.

We also tried the Pan Con Tomate . That, too, was delicious.


Moving to the Raciones - larger, family-style menu - we ordered the Pluma which was a roasted buttery soft, acorn-fed Ibérico pork shoulder loin. It was served with a honey-chili glaze and threads of roasted peppers.


And, of course, the birthday boy got his Paella


This was a classic paella served with pickled garlic scapes and lemon aioli. I have to admit that just days after this dinner, the boys went to our friends' house and Juan made them his authentic paella recipe. Both boys agreed that "Mr. Redondo's paella beat the paella from the Michelin-starred restaurant!" R added, "He did a better job with the socarrat." That's high praise! Bravo, Juan!


While I had initially planned a dessert in the Ferry Building, based on how impressed we were with the rest of the dinner, we decided we had to try dessert! And I never turn down espresso. Never!


I tried the Trio de Pintxos - a salted caramel with pimenton, quince gelatina with thyme sugar, and salame de chocolate. It was the perfect size dessert for someone who doesn't have much of a sweet tooth. Just a bite for me...and I shared with Jake. He spotted a drink similar to his beloved affogato - their Carajillo - and ordered that.


D ordered the Churro Fantasia, crispy Spanish doughnuts with a drinking chocolate. R opted for the flan.


What a dinner! I am grateful that D finally had his Michelin-star experience. And I am thrilled that it was all that he imagined it would be. See my happy teen...


On the way out the door, I noticed this and wondered: If I'm really, really good next year, do you think Santa will bring me a jamon leg and stand?!?! Please. Pretty please.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meyer Lemon Custard-Filled Matcha Turtles #BreadBakers

#BreadBakers is a group of bread loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bread with a common ingredient or theme. You can see all our of lovely bread by following our  Pinterest board  right here. Links are also updated after each event on the  Bread Bakers home page .  We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient. This month Stacy of Food Lust People Love  is hosting and she wrote: "Your bread can be large, as in one big animal, or small - animal-shaped rolls. Use your imagination! Points for flavor and shape!" If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send an email with your blog URL to Stacy at foodlustpeoplelove@gmail.com. Here's the animal-shaped bread basket from the #BreadBakers... Beef and Sweet Onion Dim Sum Pandas from Karen's Kitchen Stories Bird Bread Rolls from Ambrosia Easter Bunny Buns from Cook with Renu Ham and Cheese Elephant Rolls from Food Lust People Love Hedgehog Bread from Making Mir

Connecticut Lobster Rolls, Canned Lobster Bisque, and a 2019 Henry Fessy 'Maître Bonhome' Viré-Clessé #Winophiles

This month the French Winophiles group is looking at affordable wines from Burgundy.  Host Cindy of Grape Experiences wrote: "Burgundy, or Bourgogne, is known for its wines of Chardonnay and Pinot Noir... as well as Aligote, Gamay, Sauvignon, César, Pinot Beurot, Sacy, Melon in lesser quantities. Many of the well-known wines are quite expensive, but there are plenty of values to be found." Read her invitation here. And there won't be a Twitter chat for this event, so you will have to dive into the articles themselves to read about our pairings and findings. Here's the line-up... Wendy Klik from A Day in the Life on the Farm enjoys Domaine Chevillon Chezeaux Bourgogne Hautes Cotes de Nuits, 2018 Paired with a Maple Pecan Chicken . Camilla Mann from Culinary Adventures with Camilla shares her love of Connecticut Lobster Rolls, Canned Lobster Bisque, and a 2019 Henry Fessy 'Maître Bonhome' Viré-Clessé. Jeff Burrows of FoodWineClick! explains why we should Look t

Quick Pickled Red Onions and Radishes

If you've been reading my blog for even a short amount of time, you probably know how much I love to pickle things. I was just telling a friend you can pickle - with vinegar - or you can ferment - with salt - for similar delicious effect. The latter has digestive benefits and I love to do that, but when I need that pop of sour flavor quickly, I whip up quick pickles that are ready in as little as a day or two. I've Pickled Blueberries , Pickled Asparagus , Pickled Cranberries , Pickled Pumpkin , and even Pickled Chard Stems ! This I did last night for an upcoming recipe challenge that requires I include radishes. Ummmm...of course I'm pickling them! Ingredients  makes 1 quart jar radishes, trimmed and sliced organic red onions, peeled and thinly sliced (I used a mandolin slicer) 3/4 C vinegar (I used white distilled vinegar) 3/4 C water 3 T organic granulated sugar 1 T salt (I used some grey sea salt) 6 to 8 grinds of black pepper Proce