Skip to main content

Armenia: Cooking Around the World with Camilla (CATWWC)

We traveled to Armenia tonight. And while you could truthfully characterize all of my cooking as fast and loose, in regards to following recipes, tonight was particularly fast and loose. I didn't so much follow any Armenian recipes as I drew inspiration from the ingredients and spices that are typically used there. You'll see what I mean as you read what Riley and I made.

I explored thearmeniankitchen.com for ideas, then mixed things around to create a main dish, a salad, and a dessert to our table tonight.

Whenever I hear the word 'dolma' I think of stuffed grape leaves from Greece. Apparently 'dolma' - at least in Armenian cuisine - simply refers to something stuffed. Anything stuffed. They stuff zucchini; they stuff peppers; they stuff tomatoes; they even stuff meat - with meat! The typicaly stuffing is ground meat, mixed with rice and tomato sauce, seasoned with lemon and fresh herbs.

We made cabbage dolmas because I still had a crisp head in my High Ground Organics CSA box. Inspired by nevik (swiss chard and garbanzo bean) soup , I made a stuffing out of leeks, kale, sweet potatoes, and garbanzo beans. See what I mean about 'fast and loose'? They use swiss chard; I used kale. Close enough, I say. I sauteed all of that together in a pan until the leeks were translucent, the sweet potatoes fork tender, and the greens wilted. Then I stirred in some cooked red quinoa and seasoned the stuffing with ground cinnamon, ground cardamom, salt and pepper. I spooned the stuffing into the cabbage leaf and rolled it tightly into a dolma. I placed the finished rolls in a baking dish, covered them with chicken broth, wrapped the pan in foil, and baked them in a 350 degree oven for an hour. Before serving I sprinkled the top with black sesame seeds.


When I learned to cook in Rome, one of the rule the old Italian ladies told me: always serve one cooked and one raw vegetable. Okay, so I don't always do that. I try. Since I only stuffed enough cabbage leaves for one dolma per person, two for Jake, I still had half the head. I embraced that one cooked, one raw rule and used the rest for a crisp cabbage salad. Does it still count if it's the same vegetable?!? I think so.

I made a fresh cabbage salad with sliced cabbage, lemon juice, olive oil, fennel seeds, salt, pepper, and dill that is used extensively in Eastern Armenia.


The dessert was the only thing we made that I just about followed a recipe. Riley did a great job with the harisseh (semolina-yogurt cake drizzled with syrup). In hindsight, I should have used semolina flour, not grain, and a thicker yogurt. Riley had intended to make individual cakes but these fell apart when I tried to unmold them so we had to shape them back into "cakes" on the plate. Still, they tasted delicious!

The Cakes
2 C semolina (whole wheat granules, like I said, I would do this with a finer grind next time)
2 C yogurt (use European yogurt, it's thicker)
1-1/2 C organic granulated sugar
2 t baking powder
2 t pure vanilla extract
1/2 C ground almonds
1/2 C sliced almonds

The Syrup
1 C organic brown sugar, lightly packed
1/2 C water
1 T rosewater
In large bowl, combine semolina, yogurt, sugar, baking powder, vanilla, and almonds. Stir until thoroughly blended. Spoon into buttered baking dish. Bake at 425 until golden brown.

While the cake(s) bake, heat brown sugar and water to boiling on the stove. Allow to boil long enough to come to a thin syrup. Remove from heat. Stir in rosewater. While cake is still warm, pour syrup over top.

And for the tall Manns, we ended our Armenian feast with potent, triple-boiled coffee. Talk about a jolt...prepared in Turkish style, Armenian coffee is "black as hell, strong as death, and sweet as love." Adapted from Armeniancooking.com, though this particular recipe didn't mention bringing the coffee to a boil three times, all other versions I found did. But this was the only recipe that gave me proportions. This made two very dense demitasse cups of coffee.

2/3 cup water
2 T coffee, pulverized
2 t organic brown sugar

Stir sugar and coffee into water. Bring to a boil and simmer 10 seconds. Make sure coffee does not overflow by removing pot from burner from time to time. Turn off heat and let the coffee steep for 1-2 minutes. Bring the coffee to a boil a second time and simmer for 10 seconds. Let cool again. Then bring to a boil a third time. Spoon out a little coffee foam from the surface and pour a little into each demitasse cup. Serve immediately.



Enjoy my tabletop travels. Join me in whipping up a dish or two. If you do cook something from one of these countries, I'd love to hear about it. Feel free to comment on the posts themselves or email me at constantmotioncamilla at gmail dot com.

This Knight of the Global Table Adventure is signing off for now. We're off to Australia next. Wombat stew, anyone? Kidding...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meyer Lemon Custard-Filled Matcha Turtles #BreadBakers

#BreadBakers is a group of bread loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bread with a common ingredient or theme. You can see all our of lovely bread by following our  Pinterest board  right here. Links are also updated after each event on the  Bread Bakers home page .  We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient. This month Stacy of Food Lust People Love  is hosting and she wrote: "Your bread can be large, as in one big animal, or small - animal-shaped rolls. Use your imagination! Points for flavor and shape!" If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send an email with your blog URL to Stacy at foodlustpeoplelove@gmail.com. Here's the animal-shaped bread basket from the #BreadBakers... Beef and Sweet Onion Dim Sum Pandas from Karen's Kitchen Stories Bird Bread Rolls from Ambrosia Easter Bunny Buns from Cook with Renu Ham and Cheese Elephant Rolls from Food Lust People Love Hedgehog Bread from Making Mir

Connecticut Lobster Rolls, Canned Lobster Bisque, and a 2019 Henry Fessy 'Maître Bonhome' Viré-Clessé #Winophiles

This month the French Winophiles group is looking at affordable wines from Burgundy.  Host Cindy of Grape Experiences wrote: "Burgundy, or Bourgogne, is known for its wines of Chardonnay and Pinot Noir... as well as Aligote, Gamay, Sauvignon, César, Pinot Beurot, Sacy, Melon in lesser quantities. Many of the well-known wines are quite expensive, but there are plenty of values to be found." Read her invitation here. And there won't be a Twitter chat for this event, so you will have to dive into the articles themselves to read about our pairings and findings. Here's the line-up... Wendy Klik from A Day in the Life on the Farm enjoys Domaine Chevillon Chezeaux Bourgogne Hautes Cotes de Nuits, 2018 Paired with a Maple Pecan Chicken . Camilla Mann from Culinary Adventures with Camilla shares her love of Connecticut Lobster Rolls, Canned Lobster Bisque, and a 2019 Henry Fessy 'Maître Bonhome' Viré-Clessé. Jeff Burrows of FoodWineClick! explains why we should Look t

Quick Pickled Red Onions and Radishes

If you've been reading my blog for even a short amount of time, you probably know how much I love to pickle things. I was just telling a friend you can pickle - with vinegar - or you can ferment - with salt - for similar delicious effect. The latter has digestive benefits and I love to do that, but when I need that pop of sour flavor quickly, I whip up quick pickles that are ready in as little as a day or two. I've Pickled Blueberries , Pickled Asparagus , Pickled Cranberries , Pickled Pumpkin , and even Pickled Chard Stems ! This I did last night for an upcoming recipe challenge that requires I include radishes. Ummmm...of course I'm pickling them! Ingredients  makes 1 quart jar radishes, trimmed and sliced organic red onions, peeled and thinly sliced (I used a mandolin slicer) 3/4 C vinegar (I used white distilled vinegar) 3/4 C water 3 T organic granulated sugar 1 T salt (I used some grey sea salt) 6 to 8 grinds of black pepper Proce